Thursday, February 1, 2024

Should Boeing get certified?

Last week we talked about Boeing's recent quality problems. I made the point then that no Quality Management System can ever prevent all possible failures, but that a good QMS can reduce the incidence of failures dramatically. In addition, a QMS can tell you how to react when a problem occurs, to mitigate or prevent bad consequences. And clearly Boeing's QMS has helped keep things from being worse than they have actually been.

But building aircraft is hard. [No citation. I assume this is obvious.] So it is fair to ask if Boeing's QMS is already as good as it can possibly be, or is there room for improvement? A second question, continuing the thought, is whether Boeing's QMS could benefit from formal certification to AS9100? It is well-known that Boeing supports the use of AS9100 and requires certification of all its suppliers, but does not hold a certificate of its own (although some of its subsidiaries do). Readers may remember that I discussed this irony a little over a year ago: in brief, Boeing made an internal business decision not to seek certification, and they have taken some criticism for it. And many companies seek formal certification of their QMS'es as a tool to drive continual improvement. Could Boeing benefit?


Clearly I'm not close enough to know for sure, and in any event Boeing has not asked for my advice. All I can offer are a few thoughts.

Any process can be gamed

We know from the outset that Boeing's existing QMS is already very good, or things would be a lot worse than they are. And Boeing says overtly that their QMS is "based on AS9100." So, many of the pieces should already be in place. But any system can be corrupted—any process can be gamed—if the underlying business culture doesn't support it. And there have been a lot of articles in the news lately about Boeing's business culture. (For just a small sampling of articles published in the last week, consider this, this, and this from LinkedIn, or this from Australian Broadcasting News.)  

Here's an example to explain what I mean when I say that any process can be gamed. Consider checklists. A checklist is one of the simplest process controls there is, and it is amazingly powerful. Introducing checklists into the practice of emergency medicine has saved countless lives. What's more, it almost seems like a checklist is too simple to game. But let me tell you a story.

One day I was auditing a warehouse. They had a forklift, and they explained they had a requirement to do a safety check every morning before using it. 

I asked, "How do you make sure that check is done every morning?" 

They explained, "The responsible operator has to fill out a checklist, and then he signs it and dates it."

"Great. Can I see the checklists for this week?" (It happened to be Wednesday.)

"Sure. Here." They handed me a clipboard.

So I looked through the papers on the clipboard. Here was the checklist for Monday, filled out and signed; then for Tuesday; then for Wednesday (the day of the audit); ... and then—wait, what's this? Next came the checklists for Thursday and Friday, dated in the future, fully checked off, and signed.

Obviously they had filled out a week's worth of checklists all at once. Had they ever done a safety check on the forklift? Since I couldn't trust the checklists, I had no way to know.

That's what I mean by "gamed" or "corrupted." You can have the best processes in the world—on paper—but people will always find a way around them unless there are strong incentives not to. The best case is to have the kind of company that always prides themselves on doing things right, so that no employeefrom the C-suite to the production floorwould stoop to getting around the rules.

Could formal certification prevent this kind of corruption? Maybe not, but it could make it harder. And that's because ….   

Don't lie to yourself

In the story I just told, I found the problem with the checklists by doing an audit. Since Boeing's QMS is based on AS9100, they must certainly do internal audits. In principle, that should be enough to catch any corruption of the system. 

But if you walk past something every day, after a while you don't see it any more. And if there are strong cultural incentives not to uncover certain kinds of sloppiness, you may come to find the sloppiness so normal that you stop questioning it. Even if you start with the best will in the world, it is possible to drift through the routine, day after day and year after year, until you end up lying to yourself.

This is bad. Don't let this happen.

One way to reduce the risk of lying to yourself is to bring in a stranger, who can look at your operation with fresh eyes. That's the service performed by an external auditor from your Certification Body. So while we've all met auditors who are a little goofy, and we have all gone through audits that felt pointless, nonetheless an external auditor sees with fresh eyes to give you an outside perspective. An external auditor is better placed than anyone internal to tell you whether your system retains its fundamental integrity

An external auditor can help keep you from lying to yourself.

Again, I don't know the true source of Boeing's recent troubles. I don't know if certification and external auditing would fix the problems. But they might help. They couldn't hurt. 

          

9 comments:

  1. Michael Mills, the same could be advised for Toyota that "defeated" diesel engines? (standard IATF 16949:2016 (1st edition).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Timely remark! Just yesterday I was wondering if I should write about Toyota next.

      Delete
  2. just a note: the lag time (GMT):(5h DC + 3h LA).
    1. I´ve posted the your blog link in my LinkedIn connections (very few)...and already broke the print max record...but NO likes yet, as the article was a copy/paste;
    2. I fear the reason why no OEM´s are ISO/OHSAS standards audited it´s because they mistrust auditors for process info, eg. s/ware certifications in core "tools": equipement/turbo engines and others ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm intrigued by your thought about mistrusting auditors. Can you expand a little bit on what you mean? (I fear I couldn't quite follow your hints.)

      Delete
  3. I´m not saying auditors are not reliable on protecting customers info. My fear is that there always were hidden reserves at OEM´s top manager´s "3rd party" auditors can learn and use the internal "knowledge" to hint "improvement opportunities" to competitors? Example: checklists are web accessible, but s/ware design on engine optimization may be top classified for any 3rd party´s...

    ReplyDelete
  4. May name is Candido Neves, and I´m ASQ subscriber since 25 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha! Thank you, Sr. Neves, for explaining what you mean. And I will say it is interesting that in the past I remember auditors taking a lot of documentation with them when they left the audit; but more recently I have seen them be very careful to take nothing at all when they go. I wonder if there have been data security breaches at the CB's that we never heard of?

      On the other hand, I assume that Boeing's position in the marketplace has nothing to do with trade secrets. (Or nothing much.) So my first guess is that they avoid certification as some kind of cost savings. I'm sure that any normal CB formula for calculating audit-days would generate a very large number for Boeing. On the other hand, it seems like the cost should be trivial compared to Boeing's other expenses. So that is a weak hypothesis on my part. I don't know the real reason that they avoid formal certification.

      Delete
  5. Call me Candido, please. I worked as test engineer in TI Portugal (and TI Europe headquarters @ France) when "american chip makers" invested in all European countrys. I stlll have friends that are international auditors mainly in Auto industry on the tiers 1 and below. No OEM´s accept 3rd party auditors and no one asks why is that exception! The vice-presidents of OEM´s - as CQO´s (chief "quality officers"?) - send internal auditors to the technical staff of ISO commitees but stop there. They contribute with the best advisers to internacional commitees for excellence standards revision. Analyse this hypothesis: a 3rd party auditor gather evidence of wrong calculations in a SPC chart in order to avoid stop the line, eg., «critical torque to screw a door was shifting to minimal tolerance». That would be a very sensitive evidence to the department director and high ranked staff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. correction: I worked as test engineer at Texas Instruments Portugal; TI´s Europe Headquarter is in France, city of Nice, which I´ve never visited!

    ReplyDelete

Quality and the weather

“ Everybody complains about the weather, but nobody does anything about it. ” The weather touches everybody. But most people, most of the ti...