Thursday, April 1, 2021

Quality and the weather

Everybody complains about the weather, but nobody does anything about it.

The weather touches everybody. But most people, most of the time, don’t think about the weather – they think about what they are doing. Most people, most of the time, think about the weather only when it upsets their plans: “Sorry I didn’t get to the reunion on time, but we had weather!” So for most people – most of the time – the word “weather” means “bad weather,” the kind of weather that keeps you from doing what you want to do. And in extreme cases, weather can shut you down.

Kinda like the Quality system, ain’t it?

Everybody complains about the Quality system – the processes, the paperwork – but all too often nobody seems to do anything about it. The Quality system touches everybody, but most people would rather think about their jobs instead – the other parts of their jobs, I mean. Most people think about the Quality system only when it upsets their plans: “Sorry I didn’t release that product on time, but Quality blocked it because our meeting minutes weren’t up to date.”

And in extreme cases, the Quality system too can shut you down.

Why not do something about it? Why not talk back?

After all, your Quality system wasn't imposed by aliens from Mars. It was written by human beings to do a specific job. If it asks you to do something crazy, there are only a few possibilities: maybe it doesn't really mean what it looks like it says, maybe there's a wider context where the seeming craziness actually makes sense, or maybe the people who wrote it just goofed. The only way to find out which is to challenge the system: ask questions and discuss it.

That's the point of this blog: to discuss what works and what doesn't work in management systems. My main focus is on Quality management systems, because that's where I have spent most of my career; but often the same topics recur in Environmental management systems, Health and Safety management systems, and many other kinds. I have a few topics in mind to start with, but I also hope for discussion and feedback from you  my readers. I'm as capable of being wrong as the next fellow, so I welcome disagreement and correction whenever you think it fits. Also, you may have topics in mind that I haven't thought of yet, and I would love to add them to the mix.

Let's talk.

        

No comments:

Post a Comment

Quality and the weather

“ Everybody complains about the weather, but nobody does anything about it. ” The weather touches everybody. But most people, most of the ti...